When you see a space change slowly over time, sometimes the transformation loses its impact. This is why looking at our before photos
Family Room After:
Now, there’s no way around it – this is a small cozy space. But I was determined to make it light & bright and focus on our farmland mountain views.
Family Room Before:
Disclosure: some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase -I am so thankful if you use my links!
First, we removed the carpet and trim. We had planned on keeping the oak floors and lacing in new boards, but after looking at all the work, patches, and repairs, it was actually more cost-efficient to go with new, white oak wide plank floors. We saved a
One thing that tripped me up was the funky wood stove concrete slab. It was a maroon, speckled, jagged piece of rock. Removing it was not in the budget so I had to make do. Luckily, I was in the midst of experimenting and painting our peachy ceramic tile fireplace in the other room and realized I could use the same black high-heat enamel here. Perfect!
Family Room Remodel Task List:
- Removed old carpet and red oak hardwood
- Installed white oak wide-plank floors
- Replaced trim and floorboards
- Removed dated wall speakers and deleted some outlets
- Created a smooth corner wall at
edgeof room Paintedconcrete base of woodstove
- Repaired drywall texture
- Replaced light switches and fixtures
- Painted walls, ceiling, and trim
- Replaced ceiling fan and light fixture
This room stood mostly completed for weeks as I hemmed and hawed over a ceiling fan. Initially, I really avoided the whole fan idea in general but changed my tune when I saw more modern options. Plus, it’s just functional here with the
- 4″ Wide White Oak Flooring: Emerson Hardwoods
- 5.5″ Base Moulding (Similar Product here)
- Wall Paint: Chantilly Lace by Benjamin Moore
- Trim and Moulding Paint: Pure White by Sherwin Williams
- Wood Stove Slab Paint: Rustoleum High Heat Enamel
- Ceiling Fan: Hunter Cranbrook Low Profile Light and Fan
Shop this room
I’m so thrilled to finally share this entire space! Stay tuned for more before and after remodel posts as we complete other spaces in our new home.