Maybe it’s all the extra sunshine we’ve had here in Oregon lately, but I’ve been feeling some majorly easy, breezy vibes. I’ve been leaning towards a casual, bright space and the calm that it brings. With a mix of natural woods, woven materials, and lush plants, it’s easy to create the contemporary coastal look. Using a mood board I created for a friend as a jumping off point, I’ve pulled together some key elements to easily create a California casual dining room anywhere!
(Part of my design journey includes sourcing products so, naturally, some of my content includes affiliate links, which means, at no additional cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click and purchase. This commission allows me to write more content and support our family, so thank you!)
I love how natural and relaxed this space feels! You can apply this look by incorporating a few essential details (all part of the 7 Elements of Interior Design). Keep reading to see a list of some of my favorite pieces!
Take the Design Style Quiz!
Boho or Mid-Century? Maybe Modern or Coastal? See what interior design style fits you best!
California Casual Decor Elements
- Light woods – think white oaks, ash, and white maple (this wood species chart is helpful!)
- Natural materials – such as linens, ceramics, woven materials, baskets (check out some of my all time favorite baskets)
- Plants – of course, plants.
- Uncluttered – less is more and negative space is your friend
- Light & bright – make the most of those windows and white walls!
Ready to get the look? Here are some pieces to get started on creating a California Casual Dining Room space – but honestly, these would work great anywhere!
- Mesa Art Print (I love the larger sizes such as 40″ x 55″)
- Basket Chandelier woven lights add so much to a space! I’m such a big fan, I have an entire post on Basket Pendant Lights Under $150
- Geometric Area Rug
- Linen Curtains: (hang 4-5 inches above window and order 84″ or 96″ so that bottom of curtain skims the floor)
- Light Wood Dining Room Table
- Navy Shiplap – I’ve never tried these ready to install sheets, which might make it easier but I would probably use standard shiplap installed vertically and painted in Hale Navy from Benjamin Moore
- Woven Dining Room Chairs (Check out my Dining Room Chairs post for more options all under $120)
- Fiddle Fig Plant and a Large Plant Basket
- White Terracotta Bowl (similar to shown)- adds texture and a natural element
More California Casual Resources
If you’re looking for even more cool California vibes, the book, Pacific Natural is one of my favorites sources for coastal decor inspiration!
If you’re looking for more design support, check out my Coastal Home Decor Starter Package to easily begin decorating your home in this style. Includes specific paint colors, living room design board and curated decor items both with links, along with other resources. It’s like having your own interior stylist but at a fraction of the cost!