So here we are, two weeks to the finish line! Apparently, I’m more comfortable sprinting rather than running marathons as this space will likely come together in final few days. But, I have made some progress in pulling together this room refresh for the One Room Challenge. One of the biggest changes is deciding on the living room rug. It’s one of my new favorites so check out the details below.
(Part of my design journey includes sourcing products and sharing them with you! Naturally, some of my content includes affiliate links, which means, at no additional cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click and purchase. This commission allows me to write more content and support our family, so thank you!)
First, here’s a peak at the previous rug. It’s a simple gray trellis style accent rug which I actually like a lot. I’ll likely move it to the playroom or in a bedroom where it would be really cozy.
Living Room Rug Details
This large space needs some contrast, so I’m going with a cream and black morroccan print rug. has quickly become one of my new favorites. I spent a lot of time researching rug options and created a round up of 9 Affordable Geometric Rugs for more ideas!
I opted for the 7’10” x 10′ size since this room is quite large. Because you want the furniture to sit at least part way on a living room rug, it’s always better to go a little bigger than smaller.
West Elm has a great rug size guide with visual for each room to help choose the right size.
- For area rugs, choose a size that allows for furniture to sit at least part way on the rug
- Shag and tassels can add texture to otherwise flat spaces
- For a bold look, choose designs or colors to contrast with floor
- For a more subtle look, consider soft patterns or single colors
I’m really loving how this living room rug changes the entire space. The contrast adds some much needed design. The texture adds a cozy touch to the large, square space.
This living room makeover is part of the One Room Challenge. This round, I’m making over this space into one that is hopefully more inviting and cozy for our family.
Living Room Refresh To Do List:
- Find couch (arriving soon!)
- Paint Piano
- Update Fireplace
- Install Wall Sconces
- Add bookcase
- Decide on coffee table (first idea fell through) Considering one of these: Folsom Pine or Tate Coffee Table
- Select artwork
- Frame artwork (half way done!)
- Choose Chairs??? ( I am likely running out of time here)